Friday, April 24, 2009

Where We Stand

Here's the story, as we know it.

The doctors have decided to treat The Boy as if the first culture were entirely correct and that the second culture meant nothing. They say that treating it with both meds and treating for a worse infection than might actually be there is a better course of action than banking on the fact that treating something less severe will do the trick. As in, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I can accept that, I suppose--I still wanted them to get their stories straight about when what test was done, so that at least they know.

As I said, I am a bit concerned about him being on the strong antibiotic and then later having it not work. But that's neither here nor there, since he has already gotten it.

In terms of the blood pressure issue, nothing specific in terms of kidney function seemed to be wrong. As a side note, the ultrasound tech said that his kidney looks like...a kidney. Not like a kidney with a chunk out of it. The chunk was taken from the inside, I believe. Anyhow, they took The Boy off the constant IV drip, which is also nice because it means that he is off the leash for most of the day. He just gets it for about 2 hours, 3 times a day, with many of those times being while he is asleep or almost asleep.

Of course it means that he wants to leave the room, and I doubt that with his white count still being low that it would be acceptable.

I think I mentioned that he went from .4 to .7, and they actually did a differential today. 100-something ANC. That is good news because when there is a marked difference between the ANC and the white count itself, it means that the rest of the white cells are on their way up, to becoming grown-up neutrophils. Hooray!

The antibiotics course is 10 days. The doctor said that once his counts are back up, they can arrange for in-home infusion and he doesn't need to stay here. Especially since everything else that he is doing is pretty typical.

His appetite hasn't changed although his tastes have--can you believe that he didn't want eggs two mornings in a row?! Breakfast was Rice Krispies and yogurt. Nearly a whole serving of Rice Krispies and 1/2 cup of yogurt. He doesn't mess around. Lunch was chicken, rice, and he actually ate broccoli for the first time in awhile. Smart kid, knows what he needs--he has eaten so much rice this week, and it's a good thing, as I've mentioned, because of the poo. Even that was getting closer to normal today.

Anyhow, I'll be at home tomorrow, all morning, for the swingset guy to install the swingset. Then Musical Daddy and I will switch places, and he'll go home. I'm going to rest a bit at home and do some housework. I'd like to clean out The Boy's drawers and maybe break out the summer clothes for him. I also want to clean and sort toys and clean the living area. I'll straighten in the bedroom as well. If I write it all here, where you all can see it, there's a pretty good chance that I'm actually going to do it.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yeah for the swingset. That will be fun for David when he gets home. Thinking of you all.