Thursday, April 30, 2009

Counterproductive?

The Boy is taking his regular BP medicine twice, another med once, and then he gets a third liquid med as needed. It is a tiny drop of something that smells like toothpaste. Every time his BP is too high, he gets this medicine. It is called Pro-Cardia.

Except that every time he gets it, he gets really mad. Last night and this morning he was irrational for several minutes afterward. What I mean is, he was not doing anything except yelling "AAAAH" with some tears, but not a hysterical cry. Like a traumatized child who has suddenly lost 50 IQ points. Just now he got it again and was a bit better, because he was snuggled up to me and found his thumb. I let the nurse give it.

So if this extra medicine is supposed to help his BP but it stresses him out--does it really help?

Good nap and good lunch today. And of course, since he was upset by the medicine, I did give in to his request to watch Elmo. I have been trying to ration Elmo, by sometimes putting on something else that I know he will like after a few seconds of complaining that it isn't Elmo.

I would be a lot happier if he didn't have an Elmo habit...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Elmo habit is too funny. I think that the meds that upset WOULD be counterproductive. Maybe talk to his dr about it.