Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chemo 6, Day 3--counting the hours

We hope.

Of course, there is no reason to expect that we should be held back but as usual, we don't want to say that it's certain because of course, it's not.

The Boy gets his last chemo med at 5:00, which lasts an hour, followed by about 15 minutes of fluid flush and then we go home. Everything has, once again, gone relatively smoothly. The only issue right now is that he's not so hungry. According to my mother, he has eaten grapes, and that's about it. A bite of this, a bit of that...and bunches of grapes.

He is looking a bit pale. His next appointment at the center is on Wednesday, and I have every reason to believe that he'll need a transfusion, possibly of both blood and platelets. He had "only" one of each during the last cycle.

We are watching "BabySongs" and the song, "So Big," has parts in it that say "yes yes yes" and "no no no" which The Boy enjoys saying as well. I'll be interested to see when he will start to sing.

Speaking of singing, I got through the Easter weekend, despite my horrible cold, being able to sing all of the music that I was expected to sing. The only unfortunate part of it was that I was up there with the tissues and blowing my nose every five minutes. But for some reason, my voice was functioning quite well. Even the high notes that I normally can't sing due to lack of practice and the fact that my range has dropped with age...and lack of practice.

I am, of course, not looking forward to the fun that will be the diaper changing proceedings this evening. But we'll get through it, as we tend to do.

I also have my glucose tolerance test, for gestational diabetes, tomorrow. I did fine last time, when pregnant with The Boy, even though I gained quite a bit of weight at that appointment. I had just been at my cousin's wedding, which was an entire weekend of amazing food and celebration. Despite all that, I passed the GTT. I have not been feeling any differently with this pregnancy, although all of this stuff with The Boy has been understandably exhausting. I do hope that I pass the GTT. If I don't, I'll just go on the diet rather than subject myself to the 3 hour test.

28 weeks and 1 day pregnant today. Of course, I want Baby Bear to stay in there for as long as he should, but it feels a bit better knowing that if for some reason he were to come out today or soon, he'd be in okay shape. Not that I have any desire to deal with NICU baby and cancer baby. Heaven forbid.

No comments: