Thursday, May 21, 2009

A multitude of issues...

None of which I am prepared to really dwell on right now, so I'll give you the basic rundown:

Kidney is a big problem. Likely, he'll lose it. We don't know when. There are not many other options either and even though the cancer treatment and not the cancer itself (which is "gone" according to scans) is responsible for the kidney problems that he has now, the feeling is that treating kidney problems and even replacing a kidney if necessary is still easier than worrying about the cancer coming back. Easily more treatable.

I can certainly accept that. We just feel like we're choosing our poison here.

We have other issues as well. Calcium is low; potassium is high. Guess what has lots of potassium, even more than bananas: yes folks, avocados. And raisins too. Avocado has been a favorite over the past week. I was so excited because he needed that healthy fat. And he'd eat almost a half of the fruit. Probably more if I let him. As for low calcium, he doesn't drink milk. Ever. He loves yogurt and enjoys cheese, and I thought that was enough...maybe a calcium supplement? I'll ask some people who know about this stuff.

Anyhow, going to bed. Maybe I'll talk a bit more about this later.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Lots of hugs to you......many, many hugs and prayers.

Anonymous said...

#3 loves the Silk Very Vanilla Soy milk - fortified with all the stuff milk has.

Molly said...

He also enjoys soy milk, and we'd love to give it to him. Problem is, if he drinks a lot of it, it tends to come back up. I guess if he gets a 1/2 cup serving at dinnertime and maybe a 1/2 cup serving at lunchtime, that might help.

Rebecca said...

((hugs)) and tons of thoughts and prayers to you guys right now. I cannot even begin to imagine the emotions and thoughts you are all going through right now. Again, I am praying for you guys.

JC said...

My thoughts are with you! So sorry to hear about the kidney. I'll be praying.

Elana Kahn said...

I'm so sorry. That just sucks so badly! We're continuing to pray for him.

Heather said...

So sorry to hear about the kidney. That makes me sad.

I had always known that avacados are high in potassium and didn't even think about it when I read about his levels being high. So sorry.

Hopefully they will level out some and the calcium gummies you bought him will work.

Hugs and prayers to you.