Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My birthday

Yesterday I turned 29. Probably a pretty inconvenient time for a birthday, but I had a decent day. In the morning, Musical Daddy was here with me and Tiny Guy. We went out to breakfast at the breakfast place. Different than the diner. It has been somewhat hit or miss, with the last few times having been quite good. It makes us glad because they serve grits as an option instead of potatoes, which means that we don't have to worry about those for The Boy next time we get to go out; he can have grits but not potatoes. Potassium, you know...

We relaxed at home and then he switched with my mother and sister. They helped me in the house. And helped me to remember to eat my birthday cake from Aunt Marian. SOOOOO delicious!

Next, we all went to the hospital so that I could get a chance to see The Boy. He was well yesterday. Fortunately, one of the nurses from the treatment center came up and fixed The Boy's IV so that it was in his left hand and he could walk again.

By the way, The Boy said his first full sentence yesterday: "I don't want it." Didn't want ANOTHER person sticking him to find a vein for an IV. I don't know that he was too mad because I think that he recognizes this particular nurse and she never spends a bunch of time poking him--just a stick or two and done, because she does a LOT of vein-finding and sticking all day. The child life specialist at the center says that when she needs a blood draw, she just gets one of these nurses to do it.

Musical Daddy and I, along with Tiny Guy, went to the Cheesecake Factory. Not a great time for me to be cutting down on my dairy intake (The Boy was sensitive to it, so I'm cutting down for Tiny Guy too for the first few months nursing--just a little bit here and there). But it was very nice. Tiny Guy slept most of the time but did wake up wanting to eat. Shocker. So he ate. No major production, thanks in part to my cute nursing top that I was wearing--a pass-along from a friend in Texas whose daughter went through what The Boy is going through.

More time with The Boy after, and then we ladies and Tiny Guy went back to the house. We wanted to go to bed, but we straightened up in the house first. I figure that Musical Daddy will probably be pleased once he comes home and sees the house looking better.

I don't even really remember what I did for my birthday last year, as it was right after The Boy's diagnosis.

Thanks to my friends who donated to my Facebook birthday wish, raising money for CureSearch (The Children's Oncology Group).

Time to feed a Tiny Guy!!!


Sarah R said...

Happy birthday! ♥

I am amazed that The Boy spoke his first complete sentence, even if what he said was kind-of sad. He's such a smart little guy!

Sounds like Tiny Guy is doing very well.

JC said...

Glad you got to enjoy your day!