Thursday, January 15, 2009

Needles and pins, needles and pins

Today I was to give the last dose of Neupogen in this particular batch before the new package comes tomorrow. The vial was in the fridge, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the needle. The syringe, I should say. So I figured that I'd just go to the pharmacy and see if I could get one.

In the state of New Jersey, you need a prescription for needles.

Not a huge deal--it wasn't as if I couldn't get The Boy's doctor to call in, but at this point it was already after hours. I had to call the answering service and tell them to page the doctor. She called about 20 minutes later; I explained the situation and gave her the number for the pharmacy. She called back and asked me a few more questions, because the pharmacist wanted to know. She also said that she'd phone in a prescription for seven needles. But I only needed one. I know that the delivery is coming tomorrow. With the right number of vials and needles. I just need to administer the last dose. Doctor said that it would cost the same regardless, so I may as well have the needles on hand.

She called back one more time to tell me to go ahead to the pharmacy; they were going to give me one syringe and that would be that.

Didn't cost anything, either. Maybe because we're frequent customers.

It wasn't the same type of syringe that I had been using for this, so I managed to do a poor job of getting the needle in the skin on The Boy and had to re-jab. I may need to practice with that type of needle a few times in case I ever have to use it again.

The Boy has been asleep in his bed for about an hour. I started laundry but have since been sitting on my bum. I will now remove myself from this comfy chair and clean the bathroom...right...now.

No comments: