Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dishes your mom

In about five minutes, I will pick myself up from my very comfy chair and do the dishes. I ran the dishwasher earlier and was able to empty it while The Boy played, but I figured that I only had a certain amount of time to do cleaning-things.

As I mentioned, tonight was presenting itself as quite the challenge in terms of getting The Boy to bed on time, because he had a nap so late in the day. Fortunately, I was able to get him to sleep, although it was about 45 minutes later than I would have liked. Oh well.

He looks so sweet when he is asleep. Maybe even more so when he is asleep in the bed, because he looks so little and so grown-up at the same time. He is in a toddler bed, which is low to the ground and uses a crib mattress, but he'll probably be able to use this bed until he is 4 or 5, at which point child #2 will get the toddler bed (assuming that he/she does end up tolerating the crib) and The Boy will get the twin bed that is currently in our storage room behind the garage.

Many parents worry that when they have their second child, the first child will suffer in terms of amount of attention and number of people fussing over him/her. I am much more concerned about the second child. I'm hoping that most of this will be over before either child really can remember any of it. Still, I have a theory about The Boy and his sweet, affectionate nature. I feel like the more love that you give them, the more they'll want to give back.

I'd even go so far as to say that without his disease, he wouldn't have been getting quite as much attention and affection (of course he would from us, but he wouldn't be getting the extra Grandma/Grandpa/Uncle P time) and that because of his disease, he has such an amazing personality. He doesn't really know that he's having toxic chemicals pumped into his body every few weeks. He is vaguely aware of it when doctors and nurses examine him, and he's not keen on the finger sticks or the port accesses. But most of the time, he's just being snuggled and loved and played with, and that is what sticks in his mind.

So, hopefully, we will be able to find a balance, even if we need to call in reinforcements to do it, to be sure that this next little one of ours gets large quantities of affection and attention.

And remember--no offense to The Boy, but can we please have ten fingers, ten toes, no tumors? Kthxbye.

No comments: