Monday, January 5, 2009


It's been quite the interesting back and forth in terms of where The Boy is expected to sleep. The crib, which wasn't really a major problem, became one when he was 5 or 6 months old. This was when he decided that naps with Daddy were the only way to go, and sleeping with Mommy at night was the easiest way to get snacks all night.

Our initial efforts to get him back into the crib were foiled by a silly little tumor. If you call 10% of his body weight little. Here are the old posts on the sleep training topic, and you'll see that while we made it part of the way through some sort of process, we didn't finish.

Following his initial hospital stay, he sometimes spent time in his crib, and sometime not. We tried, on various other occasions, to get him to sleep in a crib, either at the hospital or at home. It didn't happen. He seemed to be petrified of the thing. As soon as he was placed in there, he'd turn over, pull up to standing, and howl.

We decided to go with the toddler bed, but we really didn't rush to put him in there. We tried a few times, but the reaction was mostly unfavorable.

I decided that since I'd be home with The Boy starting today, I'd work on the bed thing. I figured that we'd try one nap a day in his bed, with any other resting and sleeping occurring wherever he wanted. He has a hospital stay coming up, and he gets to stay in bed with Grandma or Daddy, or Mommy when he isn't chemo-toxic. It isn't worth it to us to put him in the crib for hospital stays, unless he'll actually tolerate it, which I doubt. But then after the hospital stay, we'll start trying to have him sleep in his bed at night as well.

The Boy had a nap in his bed yesterday, and today, so we're 2 for 2.

Tomorrow is an ultrasound for him, to see if he is ready to have his stent removed. If he is ready, the procedure--outpatient--will take place on Wednesday. The doctor in Philadelphia had said that 6 weeks was about the time that he'd need to have it in; it's been 2 months that he has had it in, so we were concerned. The Boy's oncologist said "I'm not sure why you thought it would be 6 weeks; people often have stents in for longer than that, and they stay in for as long as they are needed." I'll chalk it up to another medical item relating to Philadelphia that makes no sense.

No comments: