Monday, November 28, 2011

For art

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11330/1192743-53-0.stm

News, from Channel 11

The Pittsburgh Public Schools has a remarkable program in a state-of-the-art facility. It is the performing arts 6-12 school. Since I attended, there have been many changes, some positive, some not, although there has been a comforting lack of faculty turnover. Why leave, when you get to work with, and for, the best?

As you see from the transcript above, I was on TV, and I said that removing the private instruction component from the program would be devastating.

The money is scarce. But the cuts being asked for are hardly going to save anyone anything.

When I spoke in front of the school board, I focused on the issue of wanting the best for other people's children. I want as many kids as possible to have as many opportunities as possible. Not just because it would be good for me professionally (as in, maybe I could actually GET a job), but I want people to be happier and better off from having had more education and having spent time in an environment where they matter, regardless of what happens at home. Happier people who have had enriching experiences can only be better for society, right?

This is a simplification, but allow me to indulge my inner hippie. If you have happy kids who go to school and are made to feel worthless, that will be what is unleashed on society when they graduate. If you provide opportunities for them to accomplish big things in school, they'll want to accomplish big things when they are finished.

I am thankful for having had the opportunity to attend this school many years ago. I am thankful to have had the opportunity to perform this evening alongside students, teachers, and other alumni. I really hope that the wonderful programs are still available for my children.

No comments: