Saturday, August 28, 2010

Shampoo experiment

Or should I say, no shampoo experiment.

I picked this up from some of my crunchier mom friends. You know, crunchy granola hippie... I stopped using shampoo temporarily and have opted instead for baking soda followed by a cider vinegar rinse. Product optional. My hair feels great. It has stripped away all the buildup. But I'm not sure if this hair care method has staying power or if it works better as an occasional thing.

Most products for cleaning people and things are a bit chemical-heavy, so it might not be a bad idea to scale back on the toxins. Vinegar and/or baking soda seems to be the go-to solution.

Any feedback from the audience? I'd particularly like to hear from those who have permanently ditched a cleaning agent in favor of a natural product.

2 comments:

Alina said...

Me! Me! I am done with shampoo for good I think. Ever since I tried baking soda for shampoo and apple cider vinegar for conditioner, my hair never felt better and my bathtub is always clean (no need for tilex like before!). My kids love it too, but I have now thoroughly confused my toddler: now when we are in the kitchen and pick up an ingredient, she always asks: for the hair? :) Add to that Grandma's recent visit, with her habit of stealing over-ripe fruit (like peaches) that she uses for her hair, and the poor thing is never sure if something is to eat, or rub in your scalp! hehe.

Elana Kahn said...

I've never heard of this, but I'd love to try it. Do you just take regular baking soda and rub it into your hair with the water? Then rinse it and put in apple cider vinegar? Sounds really cool.