Tuesday, July 12, 2011

If you're looking for an update about the baby...

There isn't one because the baby isn't here yet.

You shouldn't be surprised--I keep 'em in there nice and long. The Boy was 41 weeks 1 day after an induced labor. Bad mojo there; never doing that again even though it was a perfectly fine birth. Meatball was 40 weeks 1 day. I went into labor very gradually on my EDD, or maybe even a bit the day before, and went to the hospital only to be sent home that night to sleep and then come back in the morning.

I know from having had a spontaneous labor with Meatball that I don't want to spend any more time in the hospital than necessary, so I don't plan on going in until I absolutely have to. It's not that far away anyhow.

Internet connection actually works so I'll be sure to post lots of updates, whenever it is that I happen to go into real labor. None of this sissy prodromal stuff.

In the meantime, please forgive me if I don't answer the phone and don't particularly want to tell you "how I'm feeling" because I'm feeling fine. A little round and a little slow. And a little short on patience in general. The boys (including the grown-up one) sense that I'm on edge and of course they reflect it right back to me whether they mean to or not, so I'm trying to conserve as much patience for them as I can.

The Boy is enjoying writing and drawing right now. I'm glad because I'm not so keen on having to draw everything for him. Meatball asks us to draw shapes all the time (including trapezoids and parallelograms) but will also pick up a crayon and draw something as well. He can make ovals and circles, after a fashion, and he can sometimes make a V or a W on purpose. He loves the easel that we have; very good gift card purchase last summer.

Big accomplishment for today was cleaning out the closet in the den. There is actually a fridge and a sink there, and that used to be the "bar" area in the house. You know, the place where the various alcoholic beverages from the grown-up party at my brother's bar mitzvah sat and gathered dust until someone actually got rid of it after 20 years. There were piles and piles of craft supplies, mostly stickers and toys that were thrown in without being stacked neatly so it was just a jumbled mess. Aunt Jeanne was here and we worked together in the morning, and then she and my mother finished it as I worked on getting children to nap.

Speaking of which, we may need to reevaluate what we do with The Boy in terms of napping. He only sometimes seems to need a nap. Today, I don't think he ever got one, and he was fine. Went to bed at the normal time and didn't really do the cranky pain thing like he did yesterday. But what we'd been doing with him is, we'd bring him in with us, turn something on the TV, and hope that he'd fall asleep. Perhaps we either need to switch to music, or limit the selection to "quiet" things, or just bite the bullet and accept that he's not really going to need the nap anymore. But we'll have to figure something out, because Meatball still needs a nap (although he can go without it if he sneaks in a little nap in the car, which usually drives me crazy but is good to know should we have an activity that we'd like to do in the afternoon) and when Ender gets here I'm going to need to steal all the sleep I can just on general principle.

I am SO hoping that he'll be an easygoing little guy. We will be checking for tongue tie ASAP, of course. But beyond that, I'm hoping to be able to snuggle him a lot, and I'm hoping that he'll want to snuggle a lot with Musical Daddy as well. That's something about which he still feels slighted in terms of Meatball's infancy. Then again, there were a lot of things about which we all feel slighted...and hopefully this time around we won't experience that.

I've got my slings, we've got a double stroller and a big boy who is old enough to walk places...we'll get out a lot.

No comments: